Missouri Baptist University uses Canvas by Instructure for its online courses. The following hardware, software and computer settings are the minimum specifications to work with the application. myMBULearn and its hosting infrastructure of Canvas by Instructure are designed for maximum compatibility and minimal requirements.
Studio is best viewed at a minimum resolution of 800×600.
- Windows 8.1 and newer
- Mac OSX 10.6 and newer
- Linux – chromeOS
NOTE: Google Chromebook is not recommended for university work due to its limitations. It is not compatible with LockDown Browser, for instance, which is used in many courses for taking online exams. You also do not have access to traditional programs and apps that are commonly used in Windows, MacOS, or Linux.
Computer Speed and Processing
- Use a computer 5 years old or newer when possible
- 1GB of RAM
- 2GHz processor
- Along with compatibility and web standards, Studio has been carefully crafted to accommodate low bandwidth environments
- Minimum of 512kbps
- Macintosh: VoiceOver (latest version for Safari)
- PC: JAWS (latest version for Firefox; we currently do not support the Edge browser for accessibility)
- PC: NVDA (latest version for Firefox)
- There is no screen reader support for Studio in Chrome
Learn more about supported accessibility in Studio.
Canvas supports the current and first previous major releases of the following browsers:
- Edge (Windows only)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
- Safari 12 and 13 (Macintosh only)
You should always use the most current version of your preferred browser. Your browser will notify you if there is a new version available. Visit this Canvas help page for the list of currently supported browser versions: Canvas Supported Browsers
Note: Studio webcam capture is only supported by Chrome and Firefox browsers.
The Studio user interface inherits the browser’s set language.
Studio on Mobile Devices
The Studio interface is optimized for desktop displays and is not officially supported on mobile browsers.
Visit the Apple store or the Play store to download mobile browsers. The following major browsers are compatible with mobile devices:
- Photon Flash Player (supports Flash )
Note: Android default browser varies per mobile device.
Canvas Mobile Operating System Native App Support
- iOS 7 and newer (versions vary by device)
- Android 4.2 and newer
Supported Video Formats
Studio supports H.264 video playback.
Studio will accept the following video files for playback:
- flv – Flash Video
- asf – Windows Media
- qt – Apple QuickTime
- mov – Apple QuickTime
- mpg – Digital Video Format
- mpeg – Digital Video Format
- avi – Digital Video Format
- m4v – Digital Video Format
- wmv – Windows Media
- mp4 – Digital Video Format
- 3gp – Multimedia Mobile Format
Supported Audio Formats
Studio will accept the following audio files for playback:
- mp3 – Digital Audio Format
- wma – Windows Media Audio
- wav – Waveform Audio File Format
Last updated: 09/01/2020